“Our solution is the only complete PCIe Gen4 turnkey solution available today from an established merchant controller supplier,” said Nelson Duann, Silicon Motion’s Senior Vice President of Marketing and R&D. “Since the introduction of our PCIe Gen3 turnkey solution, we have established a longer track record of supplying turnkey solutions in terms of customer adoption and sale volume than any other company. Our Shannon Systems team is already custom designing enterprise-grade NVMe, Open-Channel and Key-Value SSDs using SM8266 for hyperscale customers’ data centers with production expected in 2021.”
Advanced turnkey enterprise SSD controller solution
The SM8266 controller solution features Silicon Motion’s state-of-the-art firmware and hardware technology to provide consistent, low latency QoS domains. Offering capacity up to 16 TB with 16 NAND flash channels, the SM8266 is designed to support the latest 3D TLC and QLC NAND flash technologies. To ensure enterprise level reliability, data integrity and retention at PCIe Gen4 performance, the SM8266 is equipped with Silicon Motion’s proprietary technologies including:
- 6th generation NANDXtend technology, which incorporates machine learning algorithms supporting Silicon Motion’s proprietary high-performance LDPC error correction code (ECC) engine with RAID, ensuring better data integrity even in extreme operating environments.
- End-to-end data path protection, which applies ECC to the SSD’s SRAM and DRAM buffers as well as to the primary NAND flash memory array. This maintains data integrity as data is transmitted between the host and the SSD, and between buffer memories and NAND flash.
- Power loss protection, which eliminates the risk of data loss in the event of an unexpected power outage.
Other features of SM8266 include:
- High performance PCIe Gen 4 x4 & NVMe 1.4 compliance
- Turnkey stacks enable standard NVMe SSD as well as proprietary Open-Channel and Key-Value SSD implementations
- Support for up to 16 TB of physical NAND capacity
- Low and consistent latency enabled by physical and logical isolation
- Ultra-high sequential read performance of up to 6.5 GB/s and 950K sustained random read IOPS
- Data security with AES 256-bit hardware supporting SED, Secure Boot and TCG Opal